Monday, February 8, 2010

Postcard #5




“But sometimes I think you just have to leap into the deep end and see what happens…and learn through experience by simply trying things out!” --Lynn Fels.


Jackson Pollock creating by improvising.

I am utterly fascinated with improvisation; improvisation in Jazz music, in painting, and in life. Even role plays and role dramas that we discuss and experience in class have an improvised aspect to it. You never know what it will turn out to be. The performative inquiry we talk about is ultimately about improvisation. We can only plan so much, we have to be willing to accept and expect the fluidity of life. No one has a crystal ball, and if anyone did what would be the fun?
I, as a music teacher, plan my lessons somewhat but what actually happens in my classroom, I cannot plan. As I can teach up to seven different classes on any given day, what I end up teaching has so much to do with how I’m feeling, how one particular class is feeling, and what the students bring to the class. Frankly, I love the impromptu lessons. I am very lucky to have this freedom as a teacher. I just love talking about music, dancing to great bands such as Earth, Wind and Fire, listening to wonderfully lyrical playing by such sensitive pianists as Ellis Marsalis; I hope that my enjoyment of music rubs off onto my students. I understand that I’m not teaching my students to become musicians but as music appreciators. Providing opportunities to experience, engage, relate and have fun with music, what can be better?
Jackson Pollock, a Jazz lover, listened to Jazz when he was creating his master pieces. How fascinating! His interpretation of jazz improvisation is exquisite. It is exhilarating and inspiring to think of Jackson Pollock in his studio creating wonderful art listening to Jazz giants like Dizzy Gillespie, Miles Davis, and Charlie Parker.
Improvising is like “jumping in to the deep end.” One must try it and see what it’s like. You will definitely “learn.” Jackson Pollack jumped in. Many artists jumped in, and are still jumping in. It is not easy to jump voluntarily, but once you try it you cannot stop. Fortunately, it is highly addicting.

No comments:

Post a Comment